Wednesday, July 19, 2017

926 words a day.

Well, this is embarrassing, I haven’t written in so long. Life is busy, any parent knows that. Things have been crazy for me this spring; I got married, moved, sold a house, and we are now constantly working on transitioning 3 kids into a blended family. All of those are just excuses, but they are also all true.

This is my obligatory post about how many words I wrote last month, and it’s not many. But I also did some math and realised that my goal is still achievable. I set the goal to write 200,000 words in 2017, and if I don’t hit my goal, I’m letting my future-self down. I’m better than that, so I’m doubling down to meet my words goal. So time to put my thinking hat on and do a little math…

So far this year I have written 61,097 words, not bad but nowhere near half my goal of 200,000 and July is disappearing before my eyes. That leaves me with 138,903 words to write before the ball drops on New Year’s Eve. To make the math a little easier I’m just dividing by 5 months left in the year to give myself some sick-days (12 of them to be exact) and that leaves me with a monthly goal of 27,781 words to still hit my target of 200,000. That actually makes me feel better because I had done that before, last January when I wrote 28,153 words. Granted that was my best month of writing EVER but still, it’s achievable because I have achieved a number greater than that before. If I take that monthly goal and break it down even further, I’m left with…



926 words a day. If I can buckle down and hit 926 words, I can still reach my goal. How do you eat a whale? One bite at a time. Same for this, how can I write 3 books this year? 926 words a day, that’s how. So look for some future updates from me about how it’s going. I’ll be sure to let you know how I do in August and when the draft is finished. Until then, cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment